Don't waste your money on that old outdated furnace, now days you
can even get a 97% furnace at very affordable price. See chart below
to compare.
OLD FURNACE DANGER
by rabboni mechanical
HOME

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Where is CO found?
CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines,
stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these
sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be
poisoned by breathing it.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting,
chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death.
Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other
illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing
symptoms.

How does CO poisoning work?
Red blood cells pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of CO in the air, the body
may replace oxygen in blood with CO. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage
tissues and result in death.

Who is at risk from CO poisoning?
All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning. Certain groups — unborn babies, infants, and
people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems — are more susceptible to its
effects. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000
visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. Fatality is highest
among Americans 65 and older.

How can I prevent CO poisoning from my home appliances?
•        Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances
serviced by a qualified technician every year.
•        Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don't
have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
•        If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator's cooling unit have an expert service it. An odor
from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could
also be giving off CO.
•        When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing
agency, such as the American Gas Association or Underwriters' Laboratories.
•        Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you
change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

How do I vent my gas appliances properly?
•        All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
•        Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
•        Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can
cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
•        Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build
up in your home, cabin, or camper.
•        Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should
go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the
joints or pipes aren't fitted tightly.

How can I heat my house safely or cook when the power is out?
•        Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a
build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.



If your heating furnace looks good from the outside, it doesn't mean that it's safe to use.
The heat exchanger inside of it could still be cracked, it's best to have it checked by a
professional to be safe.

Furnaces are typically installed in closets or attics which are protected from the whether
and the cabinets may look new, but  the interior could be a ticking bomb.
Be safe by have them check yearly.

If your furnace its close to twenty year old, it may not be worth repairing. The repairs may
cost you up to 50% of a new one
1- furnaces are design to last about twenty years
2- twenty year old furnace is not efficient by now
3- some of them have too many mechanical parts that will fail down the road.
4- even it they don get used too much oxide destroys  valves,gaskets leak,bearings go
dry, etc.